Preventing Violent Extremism in Kenya: Revisiting Approaches

Despite substantial efforts to develop a whole-of-society approach to preventing and countering violent extremism (P/CVE), Kenya remains at risk from attacks by the extremist group, Al-Shabaab. The Global Terrorism Index (2023) notes that deaths from terrorism attributed to Al-Shabaab rose in 2022 for the first time in six years by almost 23%.1 Of this, 93% of the deaths occurred in Somalia, with the remaining 7% occurring in Kenya.

– Amanda Lucey, Faith Ondeng and Wilfred Muliro