Are you a postgraduate student (or have recently graduated) with a flair for numbers, and want to develop your political analysis skills in a dynamic South African non-profit organization that works in several countries across Africa? The Research & Policy unit of the Institute for Justice and Reconciliation (IJR) invites applications for a paid internship from candidates who meet the following requirements:
- Strong research experience (quantitative skills a strong advantage);
- Strong Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills. Experience with data analysis software, such as SPSS, and database management software, such as Access, advantageous.
- Excellent writing skills;
- The ability to work independently with attention to detail;
- Competency in an African language other than English & Afrikaans would be an advantage.
- Ability to work remotely from home (internet data costs can be supported)
- Research assistance;
- Statistical and qualitative data analysis;
- Database Management
- Writing short articles and research briefs for the Inclusive Economies, SA Reconciliation Barometer, and Afrobarometer projects;
- Logistical and administrative support to programme staff.
Applicants should be in possession of an undergraduate degree, and either in the process of completing or have completed an Honours or Masters Degree in Political Studies, Public Administration, Development Studies, Economics or a related discipline.
Conditions of appointment:
An initial six-month contract will be offered, with the possibility of renewal. Applicants from South Africa and other African countries are encouraged to apply. Applicants should at the time of application be in possession of documentation that allows them to work in South Africa.
Please submit your CV, a cover letter motivating your application, details of two contactable referees, and an example of a short essay or research paper (maximum of 1000 words) to Laverne Jacobs (email@example.com) by 15 March 2021, using RP Intern in the subject heading. Only applications with the required subject heading and relevant documentation will not be considered. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.