The Institute for Democracy, Citizenship and Public Policy in Africa seeks to hire a Data Quality Officer for Afrobarometer’s UCT-based Data Management team. Afrobarometer conducts public attitude surveys in approximately 35 African countries, representing more than three-quarters of the population of the continent.
• Post graduate degree in a social science discipline
• Ability to speak, work and write fluently in English
• Minimum 1 year experience in survey research
• Proficiency with data processing and management as well as statistical analysis software packages, preferably SPSS, although familiarity with Stata or other packages is acceptable
• Minimum of basic level competency in use of social statistics, familiarity with data weighting
• Proficiency using Excel
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multinational environment
• Demonstrated analytical skills and ability to produce well-written activity reports, as well as at least basic analyses of data
• High level of attention to detail is essential
• Availability for regular travel
The appointee will be responsible for implementation of Afrobarometer surveys and assisting the AB Network Data Manager that all work adheres to AB’s strict quality standards. Ongoing tasks include:
• Assist manager in preparing country partners for Electronic Data Capture (EDC), including programming instruments and technical assistance
• Real time monitoring of data collection
• Assist manager in reviewing and finalizing datasets and documentation, including supervision of assistants
• Participate in the production of Country Summaries of Results
• Improve/Adapt Generic Afrobarometer data entry instrument
• Write Afrobarometer papers
• Working of knowledge of French and/or Portuguese and/or Arabic
• Experience with electronic data capture systems; familiarity with SurveyToGo and other survey programming software is an added advantage
• Demonstrated experience writing social science papers at an academic level
The annual cost of employment, including benefits is between R378, 433 and R445, 215.To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ian Petersen at firstname.lastname@example.org
– UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
– Cover letter, and
– Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
For enquiries please contact Rebecca at email@example.com or 021 650 5370
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and will be required to undergo a competency test.
Telephone: 021 650 2163 Website: www.humanities.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E19254
Closing date: 09 June 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.