Vacancies at the IJR
SENIOR PROJECT LEADER - RECONCILIATION BAROMETER
Closing Date: 2013-05-31
The Institute for Justice and Reconciliation (IJR) was founded in the wake of the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission and promotes fair, democratic, and inclusive societies in post-conflict states across Africa.
The Reconciliation Barometer (RB) is a national survey-based public opinion project, located in the IJR’s Policy and Analysis (PA) Unit in Cape Town. Since its launch in 2003, the Barometer has measured citizen attitudes towards national reconciliation, social cohesion, economic transformation, and democratic governance in South Africa.
The IJR seeks to recruit a talented and experienced Senior Project Leader to implement this flagship project and raise its profile in South Africa and internationally.
- Develop an annual plan for the design and implementation of the RB
- Review and update the survey to keep track of current events, without compromising its longitudinal validity
- Author the annual RB Survey Report, and ensure that it is widely distributed in policy circles in South Africa and beyond.
- Insert survey findings in public debates through engagement with policy stakeholders, participation in public forums, hosting of events, and interaction with conventional- and social media.
- Build and nurture key stakeholder relationships
- Lead research on the feasibility of the survey tool in other countries where the IJR has a presence
- Contribute to the PA Unit’s strategy development, and assist with project fundraising.
- Take responsibility for project budgeting, monitoring and evaluation.
- Develop a public engagement strategy that will raise the project’s profile
- An innovative self-starter with a Masters degree in International Relations, Political Studies, Economics, Development Studies or related social science disciplines;
- At least 8 years working experience is desirable, but will be evaluated alongside the relevance of the candidate’s qualifications;
- Proven ability and experience in the analysis of public opinion data with statistical packages, such as SPSS.
- An ability to see the ‘bigger picture’ and connect the dots between such findings and broader policy debates.
- Excellent insight into South Africa’s socio-political environment, and above average understanding of these dynamics elsewhere on the African continent.
- A flair for effective communication, which includes excellent writing and editorial skills, active social media skills, interaction with the media, and public speaking.
- A proven network of contacts relevant to project objectives.
- Experience in the administration of budgets, fundraising, communication with donors, and monitoring and evaluation.
IJR, in return, offers a competitive all inclusive salary package and a dynamic working environment, which prioritises the professional development and wellbeing of its employees.
Commencement date: As soon possible.
Documents required for application:
- Submit your cover letter, a CV with two contactable references, and salary expectations to Simone Brandi (firstname.lastname@example.org), together with a recent written sample (no more than 5000 words) that demonstrates your ability to analyse, interpret and report on public opinion data.
Name: Simone Brandi
Phone: 021 763 7168
- The deadline for applications is close of business Friday 31 May 2013.
- Shortlisted candidates will participate in an initial interview and final candidates will be asked to complete a practical assessment.
- If you have not heard from us within 3 weeks of the closing date, you can assume your application has been unsuccessful. We encourage applications from historically disadvantaged individuals.