Vacancies at the IJR
Closing Date: 2015-08-07
The IJR is looking for a dynamic and highly-skilled Communications Coordinator to assist the Head of Communication and Strategy with the implementation of the IJR’s communications strategy. The Communications Coordinator must possess a wide range of skills, combined with a passion for justice and reconciliation. The Communications Coordinator will be required to assist projects, programmes and the organisation as a whole to present, profile and disseminate key messages to relevant audiences. Key to the position will be the ability to effectively communicate messages linked to the overarching theme of reconciliation, to various primary and secondary audiences nationally, as well as internationally.
The Communications Coordinator will be required to:
- Maintain and grow the IJR’s media profile;
- Ensure effective media monitoring and reporting;
- Manage the IJR’s website and social media pages;
- Provide communication services in real-time, at IJR events;
- Manage the production of organisational publications and multimedia outputs, including the annual report, bi-monthly organisational newsletter, and short videos;
- Manage the design and production of marketing material and ensure the integrity of the IJR brand;
- Support internal communications, including weekly presentation of news roundups, and related capacity-building initiatives within the IJR.
3-5 years work experience in the field of communications and/or public relations. NGO experience would be favourable.
BA in Communications, Public Relations or Journalism, MA would be advantageous.
- Excellent written and verbal communication;
- Proofreading & copy-editing;
- Project management;
- Computer proficiency in MS Office products;
- Excellent writing skills in English (ideally in another SA language);
- Website and social media management skills;
- Photography and videography;
- Basic graphic design;
- Established media network;
- Creativity and flexibility;
- Must have the ability to work well with people at all levels;
- Responsible and accountable;
- Excellent time-management skills;
- Ability to work under pressure;
Documents required for application:
- Please submit your CV with a minimum of three contactable references, and including your own Twitter handle or a Twitter handle of an organisation that you manage/oversee, as well as a link to a website that you have managed.
- A motivational letter explaining why you think that you are well-suited for this position.
- A recently-published media article (no academic articles)
- An 800-wordessay on the “The link between communications, justice and reconciliation in South Africa”.
Only applications with all the required documentation will be accepted.
Closing date: 07 August 2015
Name: Elisha Kotze
Phone: 021 202 4071
- Remuneration will be based on experience and qualification linked to the IJR salary scales system.
- Commencement date: as soon as possible
- Shortlisted candidates will participate in an interview process and final candidates will be asked to complete a practical assessment.
- If you have not heard from us within three weeks of the closing date, you can assume that your application has been unsuccessful. We encourage applications from historically disadvantaged individuals.