The Communications and Advocacy’ unit at IJR seeks to employ a dynamic individual as the programme intern from January 2019- December 2019. The Communications and Advocacy objective is to engage all stakeholders in a relevant way that informs, advocates and sets the agenda for justice and reconciliation.
The Communications Intern will assist the Communications and Advocacy team with internal communications, media monitoring, online profiling of the Institute and monitoring and evaluation, as well as ad hoc tasks that may arise, including events management. Ideally, the candidate should have a clear understanding and adherence to communications processes.
The Institute for Justice and Reconciliation (IJR) was founded in 2000, in the wake of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and with the purpose of building of fair, democratic and inclusive societies in Africa. We are an independent organisation located at the interface between civil society and academia. We employ a diverse team of professionals based at our office in Cape Town. For more information on the IJR, please visit www.ijr.org.za.
The Communications & Advocacy Intern will:
- Assist with content for the organisational newsletter;
- Update and report on IJR ‘news and events’;
- Assist with marketing and branding;
- Assist with the development of online campaigns and messages;
- Conduct media monitoring and produce media clippings;
- Conduct media research and Google analytics;
- Assist with website and social media updates;
- Assist with media relations;
- Assist with adhoc programme and administration tasks;
- Assist with event planning and logistics
This internship will expose and train the successful candidate in the following areas, over the 11-month period. The intern will work across the spectrum of communication tasks which will include social media marketing, media relations media tracking/monitoring,photography, website management and events management among others.
Diploma, BA in marketing/communications/journalism
- Good writing skills in English and preferably another South African language
- Computer literacy skills (MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint)
- Understanding of the usage of social media for organisations
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills
- Creative and pro-active
- Responsible and accountable
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to work under pressure
- Willingness to learn new things
Please submit your CV with a minimum of 2 references, a motivational letter and written sample of your work (published article, blog entry – not academic)
Only applications with ALL the required documentation will be accepted.
- Monthly stipend of R5 500
- IJR will not cover relocation costs
Duration of the contract: 11 months (15th January – 15th December 2019)
Working hours: 36 hours/week
Closing date: 06 December 2018
Contact at IJR
Contact Person: Veronique Adonis
Contact Phone: 021 202 4071
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you not hear from hear from us within 14 days of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.